[ExI] Bad news for US customers of Intrade

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 20:47:56 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki
<rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
> ### Seriously? Let's have a vote:

Anybody who believes what Rafal believes, say you agre
 with him.

Anybody who's been staying out of this thread, continue
to stay silent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias

> But, in case nobody reads it, here is for you Adrian a reference to an
> English dictionary, explaining the meaning of "rather":
>
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rather

I see nothing there that disproves the notion that you were presenting
a contrast between two absolutes, and thus implicitly denying the
possibility of anything between.

> The last subordinate clause in the sentence you wrote "This is but one
> example where I have not, in fact, taken the side of more government
> control than what we have now" (the clause "what we have now") can be
> modified to refer to either of two  subjects - the government or the
> people. I would have chosen the former referent, expressing my feeling
> that the government is an extraneous entity ("what *they* have now").
> You chose "we" - as if identifying with the government (you +
> government = we), or merging the government and the people (the people
> + government = we).

"We", the people, experience (or "have") a level of government
control.  "They" is only correct in this case if the speaker is not
part of the population experiencing this control.