[ExI] Transhumanism: Knowledge Source & Media Center Online

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Fri Dec 7 18:45:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Natasha Vita-More wrote:

[...]
> I think that what is needed is multi-media expose - a visual narrative that
> is quite different from the text-based wikis. Maybe gaming or the next phase
> of user-narrative experiences has an advantage because it is entertaining.
> So this gets me thinking on new levels.  But the key is knowledge.

I wouldn't like to spoil this initiative with my doubts and criticism but
from pure technical point of view, you may want to be as close to classic
print as possible. For example of what I mean, consider Wikipedia - they
include multimedia content but their pages are perfectly usable (AFAIK, at
least) without animations and sound. They can also be printed on paper and
still be usable, even in places where there is no power and no decent
enough computers. Moreover, they are perfectly usable on devices with
e-paper/e-ink displays, which are - I hope - on the rise but they will be
unable to display movies for some time, being limited by their
construction.

While the days when I connected to the net via dialup are long gone and I
will not miss them (other than usual missing "10-years younger me", but on
the plus side, try to imagine this, the line was so junky I only managed
to do 8kbps on it on bad day and 26kbps on a sunny day - and to make the
experience bearable I turned images off, which isn't bad idea today,
either), so I cannot say I myself will have a problem with such multimedia
(well, if you plan to play it on Windows only, I will have a problem) -
but I guess there is about +70% people on this planet who cannot afford
top notch tech and/or fatty connection to youtubes of today. And even if
they can, playing HD-quality video is not always an option. Actually, it
is not an option most of the time in majority of places, I guess.

Perhaps it is good idea to keep those people in mind, because they are the
real majority, their minds are open (I don't mean they accept
unconditionally what you tell them) and they have not so much to loose -
contrary to established "rich" minority, who would rather maintain their
comfy and easy to grasp status quo. So this minority has no reason to care
about Transhumanism as long as nobody else from their group cares and as
long as it is unfashionable to care about (compare to ecology - it became
fashionable and the fashion had been put into heads from the top, it was
nothing about reason or logic, IMNSHO, and before that, "eco" rhymed with
"whacko").

Of course, by choosing the technology you are actually choosing your
target audience and indirectly, the reasons for doing this job.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola