[ExI] Anyone taking TA-65?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 17:05:11 UTC 2012

On 12/8/12, James Clement wrote:
> Brent, I've read over a hundred research papers on telomeres with respect
> to aging and IMHO there still haven't been any good studies that show life
> extension in otherwise healthy mammals. It's probably beneficial to the
> immune cells (which replicate far faster than normal cells), which are one
> the few cell types that can be directly measured from the bloodstream.
> However, it's not entirely clear that telomeres don't relengthen on their
> own. Also, a very recent paper actually links activation of telomerase with
> up-regulation of NF-kB, a strong inflammation and cancer promoter. TL:DR
> the jury is still out on whether it's a mere biomarker of so-called
> cellular damage, or actively involved in the repair process. Wait a few
> more years and we'll probably have the answer to this and whether it
> increases the risk of cancer. James

There is little evidence that most food supplements do much good or
harm. Some evidence in both directions. Harm is usually associated
with gross overdoses.

But the supplements industry is huge. About 30 billion USD per year
and little regulated. They are not permitted to claim that they can
cure any diseases, so that's why you get vague claims from the
industry like 'supports heart health'. Also statements like 'ageing is
not  classified as a disease so we can claim to cure that'. (We'll be
long retired by the time people find out our expensive potions don't
work).

Confession - Yes, I do take some supplements, but low dose and low
cost and I don't really expect any miracles.

BillK