[ExI] transhumanism by any other name

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 05:52:51 UTC 2012

My wife commented this evening that seeing the movie X-Men: First
Class she found herself siding more with Magneto than Dr. X.

I always thought Magneto made very convincing arguments.  The context
for mutants as the next evolutionary step strikes me as an obvious
similarity to transhuman enhancement.  We frequently think of
technological enhancement (robotics/uploading) but with advances in
biology we could see other kinds of upgraded human forms.  I'm not
suggesting movie-like superpowers, but anything within the realm of
possibility should be available.  For example, who would have
volunteered to have botulism toxin injected into their face 30 years
ago?  Today botox is a cosmetic.   Next we might be injecting
bioluminescent bacteria into our skin for fun glow-in-the-dark
tattoos...

I was curious if the transhuman theme was already more prevalent in
the mainstream than we realize because it's marketed under other
guises (such as X-Men's "mutants")

Thoughts? other examples?