[ExI] Avoiding bad black swan events/was Re: extropy-chat Digest, Vol 111, Issue 15

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 17:56:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki
<rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Those who think the US government will
> help them in a Black Swan, rather than being the main cause and focus
> of the event, are fooling themselves.

That is overstating things, I think.  Look at, for instance,
Hurricane Sandy.  The US government was not the main
cause of the event, and it demonstrably helped many of
those harmed by the unusual weather.

(The exact level, and how much it should have done
and/or should have been prepared, is debatable - but it
wasn't the cause and it did help in many cases.)