[ExI] what if

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sat Dec 15 17:45:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012, John Grigg wrote:

> There is the extremely controversial theory that Jesus was fathered by a
> Roman soldier.  And now imagine if he had known that, and actually embraced
> his Roman side.  Joining the legion, getting citizenship, working his way
> up the ranks using his stunning charisma and social intelligence, until
> finally he became emperor!!!
>

> And of course, there could have been Jesus, the emperor of peace, or Jesus,
> the emperor of martial conquest, or even a combination of the two.
> Considering the impact Jesus had on the world as a man of simple
> circumstances with a message of brotherhood, now consider how he might have
> impacted the modern day as Emperor Jesus, battle savior of the empire and
> all humanity!

Matthew 10

  34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send
peace, but a sword.
  35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the
daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in
law.
  36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Yep, who knows. I guess if Jesus managed to become emperor, he could make
use of THE powers to give a very long peace - not at once, of course,
first some very unpeaceful period, but then, yeah, "Pax Romana" would have
gained a totally new meaning. I can agree that Romans were not so big
theoretical thinkers but you know what, if there is long enough peace and
"practical" folks are kept away from fraking everybody for purely
practical reasons of increasing their own income (i.e. they are not
allowed to destabilise everything and finally sinking the ship), then
"thinkers" can have really great time. If nothing else, libraries are not
being burned or converted into stables.

Also, I wonder what would become of Digital Rights Management in such
world? Would people be more Open Source oriented? Possibly so. In such
situation, tech can progress quite well, IMHO. So overally, we would be
much further then we are now. Unless THE emperor decided that tech was
really not so much important. But in such case, using manna machines from
haevens would become inevitable, everybody fed and happy, end of the
story.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola