[ExI] Energy Defeatism

Andrew Mckee andymck35 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 08:09:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 16:58:23 +1300, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> about: going off-grid is a compromise.  I can imagine getting to 70%
> renewables in 20 yrs if we get on it, spend a ton of money and tolerate spot
> shortages.

Excuse me while I smirk a little, here in New Zealand we used to be around 85% hydro and geothermal power production, since then we've de-comissioned at least one coal fired powerplant I know of and setup some wind farms,  and there is talk of trialling an undersea tidal generator.

So 90%+ renewable power generation here looks more like being inevitable rather than a struggle to achieve.

YMMV ;-)