[ExI] repercieve the economy [was: Engineering]

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 21 18:18:36 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] repercieve the economy [was: Engineering]

Il 21/12/2012 14:20, ablainey at aol.com ha scritto:

>>... I fully agree Spike, Energy already is money...

>...The problem is how the masses can understand the problem when smart elites have problem grasping the problem?

The massed do not need to understand the problem.  Only the investors.  If they fail, they're broke.  Otherwise, rich.  There are mountains of money going unmade here.

>...Energy is consumed where gold is recycled...

Renewable energy is recycled.

>...A currency based on energy give a lot of power to the people producing energy...

Precisely so, sir, thanks.  That would be us.

>... (they have the money printer)...

Ja and those of us who have a renewable source, even a very limited one, would then have a money printer, even if a small one.

>...and force the other people to depend from them...

...with the exception of those who have renewable energy sources.  This would force people to depend on themselves.

>... Obviously we are talking about legal tender with a monopoly imposed by the force of the government, otherwise there would not be reason to argue...

No argument here, you are right.  If energy is money, that breaks the government monopoly on legal tender, and we cannot have that, now can we?

>...It would be an improvement over fiat money, but would be vastly less useful than gold, silver or bitcoin.

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second.  Energy makes great currency because it has real, rather than arbitrary, value.  Energy is life.  Life is valuable.  Therefore energy is valuable.

>...I want something that I can hold in my hand and I have total control over. Something I can move around how I see fit and useful to myself and my goals...

Exactly!  Me too.

>...Something other people can not create, destroy or take away at will without a large effort and a lot of work and cost...

Partially agree.  I want something other people can create, but cannot take away.

>...How much energy I can hold in my hand?

Signor Mirco, I don't know how sturdy a lad you are, so I can only do BOTECs on myself.  I have no problem hoisting my five gallon (20 liter) gasoline can in one paw, and gasoline is a bit over 30 kiloWatt-hours per gallon, so I can hold over 150 kWh in my hand.  I have a 50 liter tank I use as an external on my motorcycle, so that is over 400 kWh.

>... How much energy can I move from here to there using my car?

My Detroit has a 33 gallon tank, intentionally oversized for hauling.  Without external tanks, that is already over a megawatt hour.

>... How much this energy will last if I don't use it?

With fuel stabilizer, over a year easy.

>...3) What prevent the emitter(s) from reducing the production and raising the value of the single unit of energy...

...spot shortages are prevented by massive redundancy in the hands of millions of energy-producing proles.

>... Less he produce more it is valuable.  Mirco

Agreed, and the more valuable, the more the millions of other proles compensate to meet the common need.  For profit of course.

This is a system which would encourage the development of renewable sources by market forces rather than by whimsical and illogical government action in the form of tax credits.  It takes government and energy speculators out of the loop.  It puts engineering skills and individual thinking into the loop.

Consider for a minute all the collective intellectual energy is poured into the choice of what car we drive.  Now as an intellectual exercise, remove the sheet metal from the outside, and look at just the drivetrain and electronics.  If you do that, you see that there really isn't nearly as much variation as we would think, given the nearly infinite variety we perceive in car choices.  Most of this intellectual energy is really wasted, focusing on trivial variations in how sheet metal is fashioned, paint choices, a dash of chrome here and there.  So most automotive engineering today is really just marketing.

What if all that intellectual energy on the part of the consumer could instead be focused on something that matters, such as figuring out how to use one's financial resources, roof area, sun exposure, and so on, to figure out how best to set up ground based solar power?  And what if a fraction of the intellectual energy we waste on football and American Idol is used instead to ponder how best to use the energy each prole produces, working towards increasing efficiencies and smarter, more productive ways to live our lives.