[ExI] mayan forecast

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Dec 21 19:17:19 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-21 19:48, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> Natural systems rotate and orbit in cycles, why doesn't our observance
> of the passage of time?

This might actually have some things to do with our linear sense of
time, originating with a Judeo-Christian model of a world with a finite
span regressing from a perfect initial state to a maximum entropy end
state. Then reversed with concepts of progress, and extended to
indefinitely big futures and pasts.

The simple answer is that we do not need to keep track of cycles. We are
no longer bound by daylight (how many of us on this list do not live
lives in some sort of international timezone where friends pop into and
disappear from our communicative space largely unbound by the rotation
of Earth?) Few people in our society need to keep track of planting
seasons. I predict that as technology advances we are going to get less
and less cyclic and more linear in our time sense.

Linear doesn't mean unchanging, but it has a connotation of
irreversibility: things in the future will not be like they were in the
past. Cyclic time transhumanism is not really possible.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute