[ExI] Avoiding bad black swan events/was Re: extropy-chat Digest, Vol 111, Issue 15

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 10:51:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't say it helped "us in general", just "many of those
> harmed by the unusual weather".

### I don't really care what you said there, I just describe some
reasons why having FEMA around is bad for our society.

--------------------

> 1) Most of the places hit by Sandy were not considered
> dangerous.  (Unless, say, you consider the whole of
> Manhattan Island to be "dangerous" such that people
> should not live there?)

### Obviously, it is more dangerous in relation to storm surges than
e.g. Boulder, CO. There is a long history of storm surges of similar
or greater magnitude in NY, and they should have prepared better and
should have bought suitable insurance, at prices reflecting the
danger.

Saying some entity is the "main cause"
> of a thing is saying that they are the cause of that
> thing, and whatever else it may have done relative to
> Hurricane Sandy, the US government did not create it.

### No, I didn't say what you claim I said.

Rafal