[ExI] toys rewiring kids' brains

Ben (B.K.) DeLong bkdelong at pobox.com
Wed Dec 26 17:52:06 UTC 2012

My son does both. He is very much into the branded sets and will keep
some of his elaborate dragons from Ninjago intact. However he is a
huge fan of Minecraft at age 8 and has been for a while. There is no
set yet for that (as far as we know) and so he uses his Star Wars
Legos, Lego Ninjago and the 3 huge tubs of random LEGOs from the 90s &
80s we got him at yard sales and on eBay to make his own Minecraft
sets. ;) He'll mix Pokeman with his Ninjago and Star Wars with his
Minecraft and sometimes come up with something completely new. What's
important to him is the act of focusing on the systematic building
process of something.