[ExI] Women

F. C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Fri Dec 28 07:25:59 UTC 2012

On 12/27/2012 08:53 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM, F. C. Moulton <moulton at moulton.com> wrote:
>
>  Consider
>> that in India where according to my understanding there already is a
>> female to male mismatch and young girls and women still do not have
>> social equality.  Are you arguing that making the situation more
>> imbalanced will somehow change the social dynamic?
>
> ### The right question to ask here is not whether women have it good
> in today's India but whether they have it *better* than before the
> introduction of gender-specific abortions.

It might be a question to ask but certainly not the only question
particularly given the number of other changes.  Which is exactly why I
urged a sophisticated analysis using the best social science practices.

>  Remember, the Subcontinent
> started out with the suttee, and now is already at the Bollywood
> stage. I do believe that the law of supply and demand works, no matter
> whether we are talking about the value of turnips or humans.

The point I made does not contradict the law of supply and demand.  I
made a very specific point and I will make it once more and remember I
was specifically replying to the comment that Spike had made about women
being treated as princesses.

So here it is one more time:
Just because someone values a woman enough to fight to have her as a
wife does not necessarily mean that he will treat her as a princess.

I expect my statement to appear as obviously correct to anyone who
spends a few seconds thinking about it.  My statement does not in any
way contradict law of supply and demand.

Fred