[ExI] Unilateralist

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Dec 28 11:22:39 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-28 07:33, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> Anybody calm enough, smart enough, and technically knowledgeable
> enough should be invited to the club. The club with the largest number
> of presumably iteratively self-selected, smart, nice folks is likely
> to produce the best, nicest results sooner, hopefully preempting the
> clubs of stupid, mean people from messing up all of us.

This is something we struggled with in the paper (and in wider
discussions): how do you select your epistemic peers? (that is the
technical term in the philosophy of disagreement - a fascinating
subfield, actually)

My rule of thumb is to tolerate those who tolerate me, and by
transitivity try to tolerate those they tolerate if they try to tolerate
me transitively. The result is a giant connected component of tolerance
that seems to include most fair-minded people.

Maybe one can do the same thing with people who are "rational" in the
sense that I judge their reasoning and aims to be a good enough
approximation of rational, even if we disagree on values.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute