[ExI] bees again

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Feb 7 22:37:03 UTC 2012

A few weeks ago, the news came across the bee-watchers groups about
apocephalus borealis, a fly that punches its eggs into the abdomen of a
honeybee:

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_19666381

The story mentions the A. borealis was found in bees in every county in the
SF bay area except Santa Clara and San Mateo counties.  I live in Santa
Clara, so I decided to collect dying bees to see if A. borealis larvae
emerge.  The first experiment concluded two weeks ago with an apparent
negative: that one was a bumblebee.  On the way back from my son's school
today we found a dying honeybee, so experiment number 2 commences.

This is an ideal citizen scientist activity.