[ExI] H+ Census- why it matters to know if you matter.

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Feb 14 11:01:03 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-13 22:47, Ben Zaiboc wrote:
> The Avantguardian<avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>  asked:
>

>> Does anybody have a clue how many total people are involved
>> in transhumanism-related movements in the United States and
>> worldwide?
>
> I can confirm that there are at least 6 transhumanists in the UK.

If you counted me, make that 5 certain transhumanists, since I am for
the moment in Sweden. :-)

Seriously, the question does come up again and again (a French
journalist asked me it last week). And I think it doesn't have any good
answer: counting people on mailing lists will likely give a number of a
few hundred. But plenty of people are not on mailing lists, do not come
to any regular meetings and do not call themselves transhumanists.

Ideally we should be able to calculate backwards: given some assumption
(for example based on other movements) of how many "lurkers" there are
to active people, one could make an estimate based on (say) sales of
Humanity+ Magazine.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute