[ExI] H+ Census- why it matters to know if you matter.

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Tue Feb 14 14:07:21 UTC 2012

Transhumanists,

I'm glad people are asking / interested in this.  Knowing this,
concisely, and quantitatively is critically important to our movement.
There is usually the beliefs of the general population.  Then there is a
minority belief of experts, out in front of this hurdling and very noisy
crowd.  Often time, the expert signal is completely lost in all the
noise of the crowd.  Because of the way our critical scientific / expert
publication system, and all of our communication systems for that
matter, work, all of the conversation stops when there is any
agreement.  What are you going to do, publish the same paper and add a
"me to" on the end?  You only publish something, when you have a
disagreement, no matter how trivial.  This is precisely the problem.  We
need to develop a system that enables the experts to build as much
consensus on as many things as possible, so the general crowd
distinguish that unified expert voice signal from lonely crazy aunt
sue.  Even experts in any given still theoretical moral / scientific
field are completely clueless as to how much expert consensus there is
on the most important things.

In addition to measuring for expert consensus, we need to measure what
the following crowd is still believing and why.  Telling them the
evidence that convinces us, isn't enouogh.  But we need to find out what
it is, that is required to convince them.  And we need to measure for
such, and see how much progress we are making, what works for everyone
else, and so on.  That which you measure can improve, that much faster.

We need to measure for much more than just "are you a transhumanist".
(see: http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/54/16 ).  We need to survey for
each and every moral and theoretical issue facing society such as these
huge emerging transhumanist values consensus camps (see:
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/88/6 and
http://canonizer.com/topic.asp/40/2 and so many other critically
important issues).  I bet you everyone would be truly shocked at just
how many people, not just people that called themselves trans humanists,
value general transhumanist morals.  And if we measured for what
everyone else was believeing, and why, we'd have significantly more
ability to speed up this process of herding the masses, following these
experts, into the singularity.

If you claim there are 6 transhumanists, in the UK, how many people are
going to want to doubt you?  And what people want is what is all
important.  But if you have signed online current decelerations with far
more than this, nobody can deny just how many people have that
particular value, on that particular moral issue.  And as usual, the
primitive ignorant crowd camps will be a complete and immoral clueless
mess.  We've simply all got to start speaking with one unified expert
voice on all moral issues.

We definitely need to find some way to help the moral wisdom of the
crowd be amplified so that it can better track and keep up with what the
leading experts already know.  Everyone needs to get all their
transhumanist friends to sign the most important moral declarations, and
get their friends to do the same with their friends...  You can't do a
survey, unless people are willing to participate.  Just like voting, if
you don't work at it, you shouldn't expert anything any better than the
ignorant morality stuck in the disagreeable mud of the dark ages we now
have.  Help us speak to the rest of the world with a unified voice.

Brent Allsop