[ExI] H+ Census- why it matters to know if you matter.

Joseph Bloch seculartranshumanist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:58:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:48 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> I would estimate that some 0.1% of the general population in a typical
> industrial country would qualify to be called tranhumanists. Some particular
> locations (say, Bay Area) would run much higher (perhaps as high as 2-3%).

This begs two questions. First, and most obvious, on what are you
basing your estimate? 300,000 transhumanists in the U.S. alone seems a
bit optimistic. Heck, even in New York City they couldn't get more
than one person to show up to the transhumanist meetup most months.

The second question is, are you distinguishing between self-identified
transhumanists, and those who "would qualify to be called
transhumanists"? That's a vital difference, and one that matters
greatly. How does one qualify to be called a transhumanist, as opposed
to calling onesself a transhumanist? Is it possible to do the latter
and still not qualify?

The devil's in details such as these.

Joseph