[ExI] H+ Census- why it matters to know if you matter.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Feb 14 20:48:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:58:16PM -0500, Joseph Bloch wrote:

> This begs two questions. First, and most obvious, on what are you
> basing your estimate? 300,000 transhumanists in the U.S. alone seems a

Order of magnitude BOTEC, less than 1% but higher than 0.01%. 0.1%
sounds about right. Based on my observed incidence in the (informally
bias-corrected) wild.

> bit optimistic. Heck, even in New York City they couldn't get more
> than one person to show up to the transhumanist meetup most months.

We used to raise way more in Munich, but it's not about the mobilizability
among self-identified but just external classification. A duck may not
be aware it's a duck, but nevertheless we know it is one. Quack.

> The second question is, are you distinguishing between self-identified
> transhumanists, and those who "would qualify to be called
> transhumanists"? That's a vital difference, and one that matters
> greatly. How does one qualify to be called a transhumanist, as opposed

I don't see how it matters, since whatever the self-identification,
the values are still the same.

> to calling onesself a transhumanist? Is it possible to do the latter
> and still not qualify?

I'm rather unsure about the Mormon transhumanists, but it's a
pathological case anyway.