[ExI] good bexarotene article

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Feb 16 17:43:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 09:03:55AM -0800, The Avantguardian wrote:

> Actually bacterial endotoxins like Botulinin D can have lethal doses as low as 4 nanograms per kilogram of bodyweight but you are correct that such would not be likely contaminant. Here are some methods of inactivating various endotoxins:

Pyrogen-free is a requirement for injectable drugs.

> It isn't the catalysts that I would worry about, it is the precursors they use to build the molecule. One of the precursors is Methyl 4-(chlorocarbonyl)benzoate which is toxic by ingestion.

I hear Alzheimer is pretty bad for your health.

> I don't doubt that given suitable equipment you could do it yourself, Spike.

I doubt it. Most nonprofessionals make a huge mess
from simple syntheses. Not everybody is fit to
cuisin-art a fine menu, especially with unfamiliar
equipment.

> But I think you overestimate what say an o-chem grad student who eats Top Ramen twice a day would charge you. I estimate $50-$200 for about one afternoon of work. And believe me, when you see that single sharp peak on the gas chromatagraph indicating pure product, you will feel a lot better about taking it.

There are plenty of commercial services which will do
a custom synthesis for you up to kg scale.

> Incidentally, I can't find any sources for non-pharmaceutical grade bexarotene outside of China, so good luck on that.

Do a DC, and if you see something funny run an LC column.

GC/MS and NMR is of course great, but typically you won't
be able to afford it.