[ExI] How many transhumanist

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Feb 19 09:30:38 UTC 2012

On 18/02/2012 17:18, Keith Henson wrote:
> This
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Transhumanists
>
> list 73 who are in the Wikipedia and are in that category.

Of course, many of them were around before the current movement (like
Fyodorov, who died in 1903) or are fellow travellers who tend to refuse
to call themselves transhumanists (like professor Savulescu).

More importantly, the list shows that there are quite a few fairly
notable people who are so clear in their views that it makes sense to
call them transhumanists. We should expect a far larger number of
notable people who have unexpressed opinions or partially agree. Anybody
who has an estimate of how many people are mentioned in Wikipedia in
total? Scaling up 73 by the ratio 7 billion / #people in Wikipedia might
give a lower bound (since many people in Wikipedia are historical).

I was attending a meeting about emerging technology and global security
in Washington DC last week. I think that among the intelligence analysts
and technologists present at least a third were "transhumanists" in some
sense. At the very least they were quite open to radical new
technologies, although often more concerned with how to avoid bad guys
getting them.

Transhumanism is creeping into the mainstream to the extent that we
card-carrying transhumanists might want to consider what role - if any -
we should play. An old-timer I met recently complained that he wasn't
seeing much *new* ideas on our fora - maybe it is time for us to shape
up and go to the next level? Or revel in our mainstreaminess and get
lucrative jobs as lobbyists?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute