[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 19:41:32 UTC 2012

Friends,

I don't want to be unpleasant or conspiratorial, but something about
this has begun to bother me.  Something not related to whatever
eventual benefit bexarotene may provide.

According to one of the articles -- I don't remember where I saw it
--that rehashed the original announcement, the CWRU experiment was
conducted in 2009. That's two to three years ago.  Why are we only
hearing about this now?  Why do we not have the benefit of the 2-3
years of additional research that would have followed had the
announcement been immediate?

Landreth was quoted in one of the reports as having said that people
shouldn't try off-label experimentation.  Also reported was Landreth's
ongoing effort to patent bexarotene use in the treatment of
Alzheimer's.

Perhaps you see where this is going.  Did Landreth conceal the
bexarotene results for 2-3 years in order to use the time to lock down
his "ownership" of bexarotene as a treatment for Alzheimer's?

>From a humanitarian/ethical perspective, any delay in announcing the
CWRU bexarotene results seems almost criminal.

There also doesn't appear to be much of an excuse based on the time
necessary to see results or the time necessary to repeat the
experiment in order to confirm the initial results.

Can someone offer an alternative explanation for the delay, one that
can soften my suspicion that Landreth is a monstrously selfish
individual.

Best, Jeff Davis

       "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                                         Ray Charles