[ExI] Ignorant fear mongering (was Re: Doomsday Oil Price: (was RIP: Peak Oil))

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Feb 26 16:45:19 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of James Clement
Subject: Re: [ExI] Ignorant fear mongering (was Re: Doomsday Oil Price: (was
RIP: Peak Oil))

>.BillK said, "I have always found that it is much easier to make decisions
when you are faced with no alternative. I have the feeling that is what our
politicians are waiting for.".We've had numerous technologies that would
save us lots of fuel, but there's not only no political interest in doing
so. Best regards, James

To add to James' comments, there are some things that politicians can do to
help.  For one instance, consider the super lightweight single seat ape
haulers we currently envision.  We know those rigs do not do everything, but
they do one thing well: haul one ape a fairly short distance at moderate
speeds.  If used that way, they are great, but we know they aren't any good
for hauling the kids to school, for picking up more than one sack of
groceries, for cross country runs, for those applications which require
speed.  We have our current do-everything ape haulers for that purpose.

So, what we need to be doing is making the license and tax fee structure to
encourage ownership of two ape haulers per ape.  Instead of charging a tax
on each vehicle as is now the case, charge one fee per driver, who then can
have as many ape haulers as she wants.  Then a family can keep the venerable
old comfortable, fast, versatile, expensive V8, but use the light small
slower super economical single seater when that rig will do.  Current
vehicle based tax structures discourage this.

Secondly, we could build low speed lanes to the far right of existing roads
which are specifically restricted to sub-500 kg class vehicles which cannot
keep up with Mister V8 and present a danger to their drivers, if required to
share a lane.  That lane can be restricted to a 50 kph, and shared by human
powered vehicles and such.

There are things politicians can and should do for transportation, but most
of it is leaping out of action.