[ExI] Doomsday Oil Price: (was RIP: Peak Oil)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:50:49 UTC 2012

2012/2/27 James Clement queried:
> Can you point me to a State where electric tractors are being used
> extensively for farming? I don't recall ever seeing one. Thanks.

I haven't heard about electric farm tractors either.
Hmmmm. Looks like Google hasn't either.

There are lots of small electric vehicles, like fork-lift trucks,
dune-buggy type cars, even lawnmowers, but not big electric tractors
for heavy farming use.
John Deere doesn't make one, for example.
<http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/regional_home.page>

Some reports say that hybrid systems are coming along, using electric
power for attachments, like air-conditioning, pumps, etc, while
retaining diesel for drive power.
Farmers seem to think that using electric transmission in the rain in
a muddy field is just not a good idea.

I'd be interested if you can provide links to electric farm tractors.
They certainly don't seem to be in extensive use at present.

BillK