[ExI] coming this fall, lab grown meat

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Feb 29 16:10:21 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: spike [mailto:spike66 at att.net]

>...BOTECs:  a sack of potatoes, low cost end of the food spectrum, about 50
cents a pound...so on the farm, food at its cheapest is about 12 times the
cost of the energy equivalent in electricity.  So good thinking Gene, if we
figure out how to grow food on the rooftop, it is way more valuable than
converting that sun energy to electricity...Rice is also about 50 cents US
per pound, and its energy content is a little higher than potatoes...To
solve the world's energy problems, we need to focus on food production.  We
can solve the ape-hauler problem, the home lighting problems, and the rest
of it.  spike

Someone check my numbers, since I did these on the fly.  Use metric units,
compare local low end food costs and high end  to lowest tier and highest
tier local electricity rates.  Never mind caviar, just regular unprocessed
foods, such as sliced beef, cereal, grain, etc.  I am getting food is on the
order of 10 to 100 times the cost of electricity.