[ExI] Main stream education begins to catch up

Kryonica kryonica at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 18:38:45 UTC 2012

I don't know how many of you are familiar with The Teaching Company: www.teach12.com
For many years they have been making audio and video lectures courses featuring some of the best college tutors in the US lecturing on college taught subjects such as Plato, Economics, Art, History, Astronomy etc.  I have purchased a few and they have all been outstanding. Now, I am not here to advertise for a company but to signal that one of their latest releases is a 24 lecture long course with the title Understanding the Science of Tomorrow given by a Professor Jeffrey Grossman currently at the MIT. It features lectures that echo Kurzweil's and the Singularity University's approach to the science of tomorrow (here tomorrow means the 21st century, anytime from in 10 years to in 2100).  What strikes me is how similar this mainstream course targeted a mainstream audience  is to much that I read on Kurzweil's website or have heard Aubrey say.  For example the lecture on Cancer and Ageing says that yes, cancer and ageing will probably be tackled by small nanobots inside our cells.  This course could really be called An Introduction to Preparing for the Singularity Being Near!  Progress and "Progress Awareness" are marching on!!!

Here is the link if you want to have a look:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1391