[ExI] The Coming War on General Computation

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 11:22:40 UTC 2012

Transcript of Cory Doctorow's talk, 'The Coming War on General Computation':
http://joshuawise.com/28c3-transcript

Video can be found at http://boingboing.net/2011/12/27/the-coming-war-on-general-purp.html

We now risk a world where no-one is allowed to make an MPU without built-in mechanisms for surveillance and control.  General-purpose computing would become a thing of the past, and anyone who tried to build one would be a criminal.  Free software, of course, would be dead in the water.

I'm now wondering if this counts as an existential risk.

Ben Zaiboc