[ExI] seemingly big advance in electrical energy storage

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 19:03:16 UTC 2012

Serious multiples of energy storage capacity -- apparently.  Cheap
non-toxic materials, they seem to say.  Easy (cheap) and
environmentally benign manufacturing methods kind of implied.  Unsaid,
but pondered, "Does the greater capacity translate to ***LIGHTER***
energy source/storage module (formerly "battery pack")?

[I throw in the last because significant weight reduction results in a
cascade of efficiencies in the EV context: smaller "battery pack"
allows smaller frame, suspension, and motor, which allows still
smaller "battery pack" which allows still smaller frame, suspension,
and motor.  Iterate.]

This is where it first popped up on my radar:

Energy-storage membrane outstrips existing rechargeable batteries and
supercapacitors in energy density and cost

http://nextbigfuture.com/2012/01/energy-storage-membrane-outstrips.html

Which traces back to this paper:

Supercapacitive energy storage based on ion-conducting channels in
hydrophilized organic network

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/polb.22295/full

where careful reading reveals that the paper was first published
online, June 23, 2011.

Best, Jeff Davis

              "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                                           Ray Charles