[ExI] RES: Eden, deep memes, exodus from the Ape God

Henrique Moraes Machado cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 12:38:09 UTC 2012

<Will Steinberg>
Recently I was pondering the widespreadness of belief in a higher power.
When one considers the facts, this is actually a fairly arbitrary thing to
believe.  Perhaps then, I thought, specific past events could be directly
and parsimoniously, powerfully related to belief in a god.
(...)
And, in a hilarious, pathetic and very human twist of fate, all that the
prehumans could pass down was "once a great man ruled us; our father; he was
made like you and I and he provided us with food and order.  But something
happened and we left.  Without his rule we split into many tribes with many
different languages, into a world of the chaos, away from the land of
God..."
</Will Steinberg >

But monotheism is a later development. Polytheism precedes it by some
thousands of years. And even anthropomorphic gods are a later development.
The first gods were more abstract constructs like forces of nature and such.