[ExI] Species-Typical Distinctions

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Jan 17 14:08:02 UTC 2012

On 16/01/2012 15:35, Natasha Vita-More wrote:
> It seems that species-typical was most often used in psychology and
> etnology and now gaining more usage in ethics. Does anyone have
> information about how this term is being used in regards to
> transhumanism and human enhancement (outside Gregor's elaborate use of
> it)?  It would be good to know more about this phrase.

I think a lot of it goes back to Boorse's "On the Distinction between
Disease and Illness" in 1975 and related papers in medical ethics
dealing with the definition of health and illness. Bioethics and the
enhancement debate has inhereited a lot from this discourse.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.2307/2265020

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute