[ExI] super soldier ants and the tata nano

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 20 21:39:18 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] super soldier ants and the tata nano

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:46:08AM -0700, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>
>>> ... Foam up and harden to Styrofoam
>> consistency in a few hundred milliseconds, then disintegrate within
>> 30 seconds after that (to allow said ape to breathe again)...
>
>> Doesn't help with twisting brainstem injury...

>...The question for this group is whether you think it is possible from a
chemical standpoint. Is there something that would expand fast enough and
harden quickly enough to do the job? That would not then be so hard that you
couldn't get out of it pretty easily afterwards...-Kelly

Hi Kelly, the foam notion sounds dubious to me, however we already have a
technology that works: good old fashioned well-tested air bags.  They have
been shown effective thousands of times.  So my notion is to make
ape-haulers dramatically lighter and compensate for the loss of safety by
having more air bags, say about 7 of them: four up front, one on either side
and one aft.  spike