[ExI] Perception of time was Wrestling with Embodiment

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Jan 25 10:36:59 UTC 2012

On 24/01/2012 09:53, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:14:53PM +0000, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>
>> It is worse than that. My colleauge Stuart Armstrong and me are
>> presenting a paper next week where we show that massive intergalactic
>> colonization seems to be feasible - it is possible to spam the universe
>> with your civilisation. Which means that the Fermi question just gets
>> tougher.
> What is your problem with the answer "we're not in anybody's smart light cone"?

I do not have a problem with it. I just want to figure our whether the
Great Filter is in our past or future. Intelligence being absurdly rare
is after all *good news* from a survival perspective.

> Obviously, probability doesn't apply, so we can be as rare as we want.

Not arbitrarily rare. Random self-asembly of adult humans has a finite
chance.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute