[ExI] Wrestling with Embodiment

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 06:57:21 UTC 2012

I agree that intelligence must be "embodied" in the sense that it must
have sensors and actuators to act upon its environment (physical
reality, or whatever synthetic scape it inhabits) and to communicate
with other intelligences, but this sense is so weak that it is almost
tautological.

I don't think intelligence must be necessarily based on biology, and I
don't think it will remain uniquely based on biology for long.
Uploading technology to leave biology behind will be developed,
probably not as soon as I wish to see, but sooner than many people
think.

I like to think that those who want to stay in organic bodies will be
free to do so, those who want to upload to robotic bodies will be free
to do so, and those who want to migrate to synthetic scapes will be
free to do so (the flesher, gleaners and polices scenario in Egan's
Diaspora). But history shows that there are always fundamentalist
zealots, persuaded that their way is The Way, who want to force others
to follow them, and therefore I am afraid things will not be so clean
and simple.