[ExI] Prediction markets

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 10:53:41 UTC 2012

I remember a conversation I had on this discussion list about ten years ago with Robin Hanson about the future of prediction markets. Robin is perhaps the father of prediction markets. (Robin, are you still active here on ExI?)

In any event, I have decided I want to participate in these markets. I'm looking at depositing money at intrade.com. Would this be prudent? Is intrade reputable? I tried to deposit money there last night, only to learn that intrade cannot accept credit or debit cards issued by US banks. I would need to send a paper check or do a bank wire. That makes me a little nervous.

I've heard of other prediction markets like the Iowa Electronic Markets. I don't know which is best. Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge on this subject? Thanks in advance.

-gts (Gordon)