[ExI] Alzheimer's vaccine trial a success

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 19:34:33 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:41 PM BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Brian Manning Delaney  wrote:
>> Both of these are mostly shots in the dark, since so little research has
>> been done on them in connection with Alzheimer's, but they're likely not
>> harmful. (B12 status has to be monitored with metformin.)
>
> I think that it is significant that notice is taken that elderly
> bodies work differently to youthful bodies.
>
> i.e. things that don't matter when young become significant when old.
> Supplements and diet need to change to take account of this.
>
> Don't carefully work out a regime for age 30-40 and stick with it regardless.
> Review regularly.

This is a good point. I've heard that one problem with supplements and diet for the elderly is that there's usually a decline in the ability to absorb nutrients. So, even, say, for some reason, the same amounts of micronutrients had the same benefit when they made it through the digestive system, they might not be making it through in the first place. And, of course, it's unlikely the same kinds and amounts of therapy are needed at different ages (presuming, of course, changes have occurred*).

Regards,

Dan

* It's unlikely it's the mere passage of time, but specific alterations that take place. For different individuals, these might happen at different times and to different degrees and might not cluster in the same fashion.