[ExI] Artificial Battles was Natasha's brand new doctorate

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 16:35:47 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> I find Spike's idea of fair and sportsmanlike competition rather
> quaint and idealistic.
>
> We are now living through the terrifying results of decades of fraud
> and corruption.
>
> That is the biggest challenge we face - getting fair competition
> rather than ruthless greed and criminal scheming.

I'm not sure I understand what "fair competition" even means.

Nature certainly provides a hostile environment wrt competition for
resources; a limited number of gazelles and a gazelle-limited number
of lions who compete as unfairly as they can with claws & fangs.

In our "civilized" version of primordial plains, it's better to be the
lion than the gazelle - but I can't imagine crying unfair when my
peers with the bigger teeth get a bigger share.  ...not that I have
any delusions of being a lion or even a gazelle.  I'll be honest and
suggest in the world today I'm hardly a fieldmouse.