[ExI] cybernetic hate crime?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Jul 17 21:30:09 UTC 2012

On 17/07/2012 20:28, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 06:07:14PM +0100, BillK wrote:
>
>> As Schneier recently commented, we are living in a very temporary
>> phase of our society.
>>
>> In 15 years the cameras will be invisible and everywhere. Everything
>> will be recorded. And I mean *everything*.
> Right. Everything. Like the insides of embassies, Fort Meade,
> corporate boardroom, arms and drugs dealers, backroom deals
> in Washington, and so on.

Well, McDonalds Champs Elysees probably viewed their environment to be
something like this, which partially explains their behavior. Meanwhile
professor Mann viewed his augmentation as part of his body, while they
did not recognize this.

The whole affair is a fine demonstration of things to come. The
fundamental problem is that our social norms about public/private,
self/nonself, and who gets to control information flows where and about
what are lagging behind de facto cultural and technological change.

Of course the boardrooms and drug dealers will want to control what
recording devices are present, just like McDonalds or your mother. But
it is not clear their enforcement abilities will be up to it, especially
when the recording aspect becomes incorporated in many technologies they
do want - often in both integral and non-obvious ways. Do you think the
CEOs will be giving up their blackberries before talking shop, even
though they might actually have a few privacy-breaking options or bugs?
And even if some groups and environments are good at maintaining their
privacy the bigger turmoil will be affecting them in other ways.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arenamontanus/2110525526/

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute