[ExI] cybernetic hate crime?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Jul 18 07:55:06 UTC 2012

On 18/07/2012 01:23, Jeff Davis wrote:
> I'm suspicious.  Something's missing here.  The reason for the
> "assault".   It reminds me of the kid who says so-and-so hit me, but
> neglects to report how he spit in so-and-so's face first.
>
> What "really" happened.

Yes, there is plenty left out. One interesting aspect is that Mann has a
powerful media advantage: he have documentary information he can edit
and disseminate, and he is a darling of the digerati. Just because you
do sousveilance doesn't mean the sousveiled information as it is
revealed to others will be neutral. And in this case it creates an
information asymmetry visavi the McDonalds employees. If only they had
wearcams and blogs too...

My guess the real origin is a combination of personality,
misunderstanding (cultural and direct) and uncertainty avoidant
employees caught by a belief that they must enforce a recording ban that
is on the books. While I like much of Manns work, he does have a
tendency to put the minions of organisations in a squeeze.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute