[ExI] StemCells Inc.and Alzheimer's.

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Jul 26 20:26:39 UTC 2012

On 26/07/2012 02:37, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> I treasure old friends with whom I shared experiences.  I like to talk to
>> them and see how well our recollections agree.  I have at least one friend
>> whose old memories have drifted towards the negative.
>>
>> OK friends, which is it with you?  Do your old memories drift?  If so, which
>> way?  Why do you suppose?  Are there other axes besides positive/negative?
>> Such as boring/interesting?  Weird/normal?
> Are the facts recorded in a neutral encoding and it is the reassembly
> that wraps them in your current mindset?

It looks like the encoding is biased by the original mindset, then gets
modified by reconsolidation and other memory-warping processes, and then
reassembly maps them in our current mindset. Memories do drift,
especially if you have persistent mood disorders. But they are never
neutral factual accounts.

> How much of the phenomenal Now is a merely the story we tell ourselves
> about the world "out there"?

What kind of answer would you like? Or would even make sense?

Remember that 75% of the input to the lateral geniculate nucleus comes
from the cortex, not the eye.

> Why should our memories be any more or less malleable than so-called real time?

Because they would then be useless. Memory is about storing past
information so that it can guide future decisions - if it is too
malleable you don't get enough information into the future.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute