[ExI] olympic opening ceremonies

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Jul 28 16:48:23 UTC 2012

On 28/07/2012 17:05, BillK wrote:
> My hands were also handcuffed behind my back.

Seems like I have missed the trend. I better get handcuffed too, it is
simply the done thing these days!

As for the paganism of the opening ceremonies, I think that is
appropriate. The Olympic games were originally religious festivities,
and were revived as a kind of festivities for abstractions like Peace
and Excellence. Note the magical fire ceremonies. And if you squint
hard, you can see the worship of mortals pushing themselves towards
demigodhood. One reason so many people dislike doping is that the
athletes are supposed to represent the best there is of humanity, and
breaking rules in the wrong way is seen as tarnishing it. Which of
course leaves plenty of questions about cases like Pistorius - a new
path to godhood?

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute