[ExI] Written for another list

john clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 30 04:41:18 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012  Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The energy payback from power satellites is short, two months

I think that's a pretty useless figure because the problem is not the high cost of rocket fuel. In fact even if the launch cost to geosynchronous orbit were zero I'm not at all sure power satellites would be economically viable.  I think liquid fluoride thorium reactors are a much better bet and we already have the technology or nearly so, we've had most of it since the 1960's, and that is pretty amazing considering the tiny amount of money spent developing the concept.  About half a century ago we made a blunder and turned to solid fuel uranium reactors and not to liquid fuel thorium reactors and we've been paying a huge price for that mistake ever since.

  John K Clark