[ExI] Gmail now has video conference calls

J.R. Jones mrjones2020 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 14:09:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 9:13 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Video chat face-to-face-to-face with Hangouts in Gmail
> <
> http://gmailblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/video-chat-face-to-face-to-face-with.html
> >
> You’ll be able to chat with all the same people you did before and, in
> fact, with Hangouts you’ll now be able to reach them not only when
> they are using Gmail but also if they are on Google+ in the browser or
> on their Android or iOS devices.
>
> All Gmail users will benefit from this upgrade, but if you and the
> person you're chatting with also use Google+, you’ll get even more
> from the Hangouts experience. You'll be able to video chat with up to
> nine people at once, watch YouTube videos together, collaborate on
> Google documents and share your screen.
>
> So if you want to chat to somebody offlist, or have a conference call
> about a paper, you can now link from Gmail.
>

> BillK

I wonder about the security of the connection, given the recent
developments regarding Skype, or even Facebook and their chat for that
matter.  I suppose, assume you are or can be watched/eavesdropped, unless
you've taken your own specific precautions against..

Either way, yes it's a great service.  Feature packed, and accessible from
many many locations.  And free*.