[ExI] Bringing new life to dead matter

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 17:16:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> OK... maybe I'm defining consciousness more in terms of "self
> awareness"... I don't know how self awareness is related to
> consciousness, but when I think of consciousness, that's sort of the
> kind of thing that pops into my head. And no, I do not think that a
> switch is self aware. Plants? I dunno.

By happy synchronicity.....

<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=do-plants-think-daniel-chamovitz>

Quote:
Do Plants Think?
Scientist Daniel Chamovitz unveils the surprising world of plants that
see, feel, smell—and remember
By Gareth Cook  | June 5, 2012

How aware are plants? This is the central question behind a
fascinating new book, “What a Plant Knows,” by Daniel Chamovitz,
director of the Manna Center for Plant Biosciences at Tel Aviv
University. A plant, he argues, can see, smell and feel. It can mount
a defense when under siege, and warn its neighbors of trouble on the
way. A plant can even be said to have a memory.