[ExI] Bringing new life to dead matter

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 14:01:53 UTC 2012

Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

>AFAIK, the world might be populated by philosophical zombies. Human
>zombies, animal zombies, plant zombies.

Well, not quite.

An idea can exist, but that doesn't mean that the thing it represents must be able to exist, or even make any sense (look at religion for abundant examples of that!).  As the phrase 'philosophical zombie' effectively means 'something which isn't what it is', or looked at another way, something which can't, even in principle, be distinguished from an identical thing that isn't one, I think it's safe to say that there are not, and never will be, such things as philosophical zombies.

Ben Zaiboc