[ExI] Apocalypse Soon: Has Civilization Passed the Environmental Point of No Return?

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 14:25:11 UTC 2012

On Friday, June 8, 2012 9:44 PM J.R. Jones <mrjones2020 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't think these scientists are complaining just about climate change.
>
> It's a perfect storm. Energy, food, government, finance, social, educational,
> climate, ocean acidification, bio diversity down the hole, and on.

> I'm sorry, but optimists just aren't paying attention. That, or their goals are
> inverse mine.

What are your goals here? What are theirs?

Don't you think, though, that humans have a pessimistic bias? At any time in history, just about, I think, most people will presume things are getting ever worse -- even when their own lives are getting better. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_the_Rational_Voter#Pessimistic_bias

Regards,

Dan