[ExI] Abiogenesis under extremes of pressure

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 14:58:35 UTC 2012

Only a very casual observer of the origins of life field, but I wonder if any work is being carried out to see if biologicals can be produced under extremely high or low pressures. Proteins and other organic compounds (and, heck, lots of things) behave differently under very high or very low pressure. I'm not saying this will be the magic bullet -- squeeze some amino acids, lipids, and other goodies under a hundred atmospheres for a few days and out will crawl something we'll all recognize as alive -- but I'm wondering if anyone is pursuing this approach.

Regards,

Dan