[ExI] File survival and the transparency of the future

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Jun 15 11:14:27 UTC 2012

I just investigated the user area of my laptop, looking at my oldest files.

The median and mean dates of the files were 2007, around the time I got
the laptop.  The oldest file claimed to be from 1980, which is unlikely
since it is a truetype file. However, I do have a bunch of truetype
files with dates in the early 90s that I know I used way back. From 1995
there is a stellar catalog I laboriously copied by hand and now exist in
a few different locations. From 1998 and onward there are not just old
font files but also ancient DLLs and a few of my own pictures. Moving on
I find more picture files from various sources and by 2000 a few old mp3s.

Assuming this is typical, it seems that what really tends to hang around
are system files or things aligned with them, followed by collections of
static files that either has some small value in themselves or easily
slot into collections.

I also found a few files from 2048. One was a text about risks of
blackouts in complex power networks, one was a cabalistic-combinatoric
diagram by Athanasisus Kircher from the 17th century, and one was a
Chinese character. Make of that what you will.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute