[ExI] How to survive forever

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jun 15 13:22:27 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] How to survive forever

On 15/06/2012 07:40, BillK wrote:
>>... I know it is a common assumption that if you wait long enough, then
> *anything* might happen. But 'long enough' is probably longer than the
> life of our universe, so we can ignore the risk.

>...Well, the universe is open, so "long enough" looks like it is going to
happen.  Anders Sandberg

I see the evidence that the universe is open, and I cannot refute it no
matter how hard I try.  It is just that it is so sad.  I had so hoped the
physicists could somehow pull off a miracle and close the universe, find
some particle that would account for the mass, so that at some future time
it could all come back, and we could do it all again and again.  But no,
instead it will all be lost forever, within a mere few hundred billion
years.  Sigh.  So sad is the life of the modern astrophysicist, and the
ultimate fate of our visible universe, that awful big rip, so sad.