[ExI] How to survive forever

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jun 17 00:47:14 UTC 2012

On 16/06/2012 19:09, Natasha Vita-More wrote:
> Lloyd's  "[m]erely by existing, all physical systems register information"
> links to Lynn Margulis understanding of living matter and also to
> cybernetics.

It is part of the big stream of ideas in 20th-21st science based on
seeing information as fundamental.

>    Re information theory: does the physical capacity of the
> universe reduce/shrink the more we know about it?

No, not that I know. Knowing about a system is a kind of physical power:
one can demonstrate that knowing information about the state of a system
allows you to temporarily break the laws of thermodynamics for it: each
bit is like a ticket for one small operation that can reverse entropy -
but the price is that you spend your bits.

Understanding in the sense of knowing physical laws doesn't have this
effect, but it allows us to coax the world into unusual states that are
useful to us. In a sense our knowledge adds new options to the universe:
thanks to it there are now Bose-Einstein condensates, brainbow mice and
computers.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute