[ExI] how mosquitoes fly in the rain

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jun 17 14:18:32 UTC 2012

Is this cool or what?

Many years ago I was up at Mount Rainier in late September when there was a
freak early snowfall.  I stood around outside the lodge and noticed there
was a mosquito hovering about as the flakes gently fell, but she wasn't
getting caught by them.  I watched for long enough to marvel that she
managed to dodge every flake.  I assumed that eventually one would clobber
her and haul her down to the ground where presumably she would perish, which
is good actually for I detest the wretched beasts.  But I had to feel a
certain disdainful admiration for her ability to hover about and apparently
dodge snowflakes.  I hadn't realized until I saw this that mosquitoes can
survive direct hits from raindrops:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2012/06/how-do-mosquitoes-fly-in-the
-rain/?utm_source=smithsoniantopic
<http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/science/2012/06/how-do-mosquitoes-fly-in-th
e-rain/?utm_source=smithsoniantopic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20120617-W
eekender> &utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20120617-Weekender

Fortunately they still have not evolved the ability to evade my paw.  Dodge
THIS, Needlenose!