[ExI] virtual travel improving all the time

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Jun 22 07:54:54 UTC 2012

On 22/06/2012 07:30, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> For 'live' you need a 2K or 4K cam attached to a mobile, rentable
> teleoperated platform. Like an airborne drone, for instance. Anything
> else is not really travel.

Something like Giraff,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arenamontanus/6875667459/
perhaps. But while this might be useful for dropping by colleagues'
offices, it still is pretty bad for trying a gelato in Rome or getting
the awesome feeling of climbing down into Grand Canyon.

Still, a lot of travel is just pointless. We are starting to discover
how useful it is to use skype with video to cut down on moving people
over city distances for short meetings. What we really need is for this
practice to become normal or even high status, so the massive flows of
meeting-goers stop.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute